Sensory solutions for Alzheimer’s
Alzheimer’s is a disease that causes dementia and was named after the doctor who first described it (Alois Alzheimer). Around 500,000 people in the UK have Alzheimer’s. It tends to develop slowly over the years and affects multiple brain functions, including memory. As it develops, so do the symptoms. They also become more severe. Alzheimer’s is most common in people over 65 and affects slightly more women than men.
The most common symptoms of the early stages can include:
- Memory loss: Forgetting about recent conversations, forgetting names of places and objects, struggling to find the correct word but also misplacing items.
- Repetition: Patients suffering from Alzheimer’s tend to ask the same questions over and over again.
- Indecision: They find it more difficult to make decisions and show poor judgment.
- Frustration: The above symptoms make patients irritable and anxious, and they may become aggressive.
Whilst there is no cure for Alzheimer’s, there are ways to improve the quality of life of the patients: Experia's multi-sensory rooms cater for people of all ages. Older people have shown profound changes in mood, cognition and overall well-being when regularly visiting our rooms or using our portable equipment, such as the Sensory Cart, designed specifically for relaxation and reminiscence thanks to its built in DVD player, screen and calming lighting effects.Once exposed to our calming lights, sounds and aromas, an individual suffering from Alzheimer’s can relax and so engage and once again have control over their environment and even themselves. Setting up a sensory room in your assisted living or retirement facility will not only upgrade your facility, but may improve the quality of life for your residents.
Some great tools for engaging individuals with Alzheimer’s include:
To make the process of creating the perfect sensory space to help those with Alzheimer's or other forms of Dementia as easy as possible for you, Experia has created two Dementia Sensory Room packages:
- The Karvonen package enables the integration of gently soothing multisensory products into any room in a care home, nursing home, hospital or hospice in order to create a serene but familiar environment for relaxation.
- The Zoladz package brings the sensory experience direct to the bedroom in order to distract and de-stress prior to an anxiety inducing procedure, or simply help users fall sleep.
Ex VAT £2,325.00 Inc VAT £2,790.00